It's Your Right!
Federally Protected Classes:
- National Origin
- Familial status (the presence of children under the age of 18)
Additional Statewide Protections (Ohio):
Some local laws also prohibit housing discrimination based on:
- Sexual Orientation
- Marital Status
- Gender Identity
- Source of Income
What is Prohibited?
These actions are illegal if they are done because a person belongs to a protected class:
Rental and Sale of Housing:
- Refuse to rent or sell housing
- Refuse to negotiate for housing
- Make housing unavailable or otherwise restrict choice
- Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of housing
- Provide different housing services or facilities
- Falsely deny that housing is available
- Persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting)
- Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service related to the sale or rental of housing
- Retaliate against a person for making a fair housing complaint.
Mortgage Lending and Insurance:
- Refuse to make a mortgage loan or provide homeowners insurance
- Refuse to provide information regarding loans or insurance
- Impose different terms or conditions on a loan, such as different rates, or fees
- Discriminate in appraising property
- Refuse to purchase a loan
- Set different terms or conditions to purchase a loan
It is also illegal for anyone to:
- Threaten, coerce, intimidate, or interfere with anyone exercising a fair housing right or assisting others who exercise that right.
- Advertise or make any statement that indicates a limitation or preference based on a protected class, such as “No Children,” or “Christians Only,” or “Prefer single female.”
For more information see our:
Fair Housing Overview - Español
Community Guide to Fair Housing
You Have the Right to Live Where You Choose
For Legal Help See;
http://www.lawolaw.org/ Informational video by HUD on the Basics of Fair Housing
For more information, to schedule a training, or file a complaint please call 800-941-4558 and ask for Lori Payne.